Saturday, July 19, 2008

I Feel Fine Dining (Saturday July 19th)



The Beatles may have been turned away from the Midland Hotel for not wearing a tie, but our LRF tee-shirts didn't exclude us from one of Manchester's great landmarks . Shane, sorry Jane, has already told the tale of visiting the marble-floored masterpiece and now is the time to announce it as one of our venues on September 13th.


We don't know quite what we will be doing during out ten minutes yet, perhaps some luggage carrying or cleaning, who knows, but we do know that the hotel has donated a fantastic Fine Dining package which we can auction on the night. This is worth £220 without even giving a donation to the charity, so we are hoping it reaches a lot more. Thanks very much to Claire Woods at qhotels who has got right behind the Bananathon.


Let's face it, auctions at events can sometimes be pretty tiresome, I've been auction master myself a couple of times and been sick of the sound of my own voice after about ten minutes, so I can't imagine how dull it was for the punters. At Tiger Tiger we are taking a different approach. One week before the Bananathon I will be placing our many auction prizes on eBay. From 11pm to 12pm on the night the auctions will finish so people can bid for the items whether they are there or not. We will have someone on hand with an ebay account should bidders at the party not have an account of their own and of course a computer to bid on. We don't have a computer as yet, but by Monday evening I am sure that our persuasive powers will have worked on a kind company in Manchester and they will have donated one.


On a personal note, this weekend has been bonkers so far. I had a gig with White Van Man last night which was reasonably quiet for a change, mainly because I forgot to put posters up to advertise it. The second half of the gig was a lot busier and we played really well and enjoyed it to the max. It was a first airing for the Killers song Mr Brightside for us. I have had so many lines at work over the last few weeks that I have reached overload on learning words, so I cheated and had them on a sheet of paper on the floor. No one seemed to notice and it went down great . The song is a Young Farmers anthem and I am sure will become a stalwart of our set.
My daughter and her mates came for the first set and danced their little socks off to songs that they had mostly never heard of. They have all worked very hard over the last year and have been rewarded with great SATS results. They have three days left at primary school and are a credit to us all. Well done girls. I spent much of today setting a treasure hunt for their school and feel guilty yet helpless that I have one non-speaking scene on the day it is happening and so can't be there to see the project through.


I went to see a cracking American band called The Hold Steady last week in Leeds. I have never seen the Irish Centre so packed. The band's lead singer is a cross between Lloyd Grossman and Lee who has designed the tickets for the Tiger Tiger Party. Their song Massive Nights is lodged in my head at the moment and would be a corker for White Van Man to cover. Whilst I was typing up the treasure hunt I text The Rev 96.2 and Lee Off Hollyoaks kindly played the track for me. What a marvellous DJ he is.


Tarzan x

No comments: