Monday, August 25, 2008

Twenty Flight Rock (Sunday August 24th)

I ran twenty miles this morning, the bulk of it with Tom the banana and the wonderfully named Gingerbreadman (designer and producer of Tiger Tiger Tickets), Eric Seagull and Funk. I lagged behind for much of the run and found it pretty hard going. To emulate the bananathon we put a few short stops along the route and after I had run 16 miles I stopped off at home for ten minutes, had a bite to eat, then went off and did another three miles, then came back and ran a mile on the treadmill.

It was tough to get going again after the stop but what I didn't anticipate was that I would feel sick and have a stitch. To be on our feet for ten hours on bananathon day we are going to have to refuel as we go along and that means taking on food as well as sports drink(more will be revealed in a later blog). This is something I am not used to doing and need to practice more over the next three weeks. I have been known to run 20 miles without even water in the past but I'll be flaked out come Gorton if I try that on September 13th. Next week's half bananathon will be a real chance to practice a food strategy. I intend to run from my home to The Railway which will give me an extra 5 miles, making the run about 18.5miles in total.

During today's run Tom mentioned how we might get cold at the ten minute stops in the bananathon. I thought he was being a bit of a wuss but he was absolutely spot on. When I had my ten minute break back at home I was close to shivering. If the weather isn't so kind on the day (remember this is Manchester) and we don't fuel correctly and keep warm we may risk Hypothermia. Not the best state to be in when you are reading a childrens book or collecting glasses outside a bar. Tom suggested space blankets and that's what we will be wearing at the venues if needs be in the form of lining under themed leopard skin print ponchos.


All this running chat has inspired me to have a proper stab at a late autumn marathon and the random calculator has taken in details and spewed out Milan, flat and cool and at the end of November. I may well be joined by two other runners. Must book those flights.


If you can draw your eyes away from the poncho, LRF visor and shapely legs in the picture above you may have noticed I am holding something. What is it?
It's a list of ten songs customers of Dawsons Music shop can choose from, to decide which three songs White Van Man will play at the ten minute gig at 5pm in the shop window on the day of the bananathon. People either pop a donation in the tin or text 'Tarzan' to 82540 and then tick a box by the song they want the band to play. The choices are 500 Miles, Baby I Love You, Cinnamon Girl, Common People, Ever Fallen In Love, I Found Out, I'm A Believer, Miss You, Suspicious Minds and SWords Of A Thousand Men. Let's get ready to Rock.

No comments: